Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why won't they listen?

Sometimes I swear I want to scream until I'm hoarse. Sometimes I, like radio and T.V. talk show host Glenn Beck, need a roll of duct tape to wrap around my head in order to keep it from exploding.

Why?

Aerobic exercise.

I was at the gym a few days ago and overheard a trainer tell one of his clients, "Well, in order to get really lean you've got to do more aerobic training." This female client of his has not lost an inch since she started with him over a year ago. In fact she's gained size and weight. How do I know?

I was eavesdropping. . . remember?

No big surprise to me, but then again . . . I don't SUCK as a trainer.

Here are some numbers for you:

In January of 2007 a SIX MONTH clinical trial concluded wherein two (count 'em, 2) different groups were tested.

Group "A” followed a strict diet.

Group "B" followed the same diet AND added 50 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 times per week.

50 minutes . . . 5 times per week!

You know what happened?

NO DIFFERENCE!

Nada. Nix. Nill. Bupkis!

Each group lost an equal amount of fat and the addition of the aerobic activity made no difference in fat loss.

Now personally, if I'd been a member of this study and had just spent 250 minutes a week (that's over 4 hours) for 26 weeks doing aerobic activity for effectively no additional gain, I think I'd need to be held back from ripping someone’s arm off.

Same goes if I was the client of this other trainer.

So what works?

1) Increased meal frequency of whole, real foods followed to 90 percent compliance.

2) A reduced carbohydrate diet. I suggest a low Glycemic Index diet to reduce insulin.

3) Interval training.

4) Resistance training.

5) Supplement with fish oil, CLA and possibly casein.

Oh, and don't hire trainers who stink at what they claim to be able to do for you.

Steve