Sunday, April 11, 2010

The REAL difference between success and failure.

Why is it that some individuals can make great gains from a training program while others on the same program struggle to make gains? They may have the same training age, muscle fiber make-up, have the same eating and recovery patterns, but yet do not see similar progress or gains from their training. What, pray-tell, could be the missing link in their training regime?

I believe it is an insidious culprit that I have discussed several times: It’s their quality and commitment to effort and consistency.

In group training, like the Firestorm Fit Camps, every individual within the group receives the same training program. For certain individuals there are the minor tweaks here and there based on injury history, movement capability, strength level and/or body type. Even though everybody has virtually the same training protocol, why aren't equal improvements seen across the board?

The variables I mentioned before obviously play a large role in how an individual responds to training, but I often see that the major issue is that the people who don't improve as much simply just don't work hard enough. Consistent hard work and effort are extremely vital to making physical and mental improvements in training, as well as in life. If these components are missing in my clients and athletes, it is my job to encourage them to strive for more so as get this out of them.

I'll be the first to admit, that can be a challenging and mentally taxing endeavor for the “coach.” It simply may be that I have clients who just don't know how to put out effort. This is where the art of coaching comes into play as I must find out what motivates and drives that particular person to train consistently harder and to eventually succeed.

I know quite a few trainers that are in the money collection business. They bring a client on board and simply go through the motions with that individual, all the while collecting a pay check from them.

I’m not like that. I just can’t, and won’t, do it.

I feel guilty when the people under my tutelage and guidance don’t receive more than their hard earned money’s worth. I feel bad when people don’t make progress, or obtain the results they deserve. People who know me well also know that I often don’t sleep well at night. This is one of the reasons: when my clients don’t experience success, I feel compelled to find out why and correct it.

I'm not sure but there may be a psychological explanation for it, or maybe it’s a “syndrome” that has yet to be graced with a name, but whatever “it” is, I’ve got it.

And I believe I know why: In my mind there’s a difference between a client and customer. With a customer, the transaction is over with the exchange of funds. With a client, that’s just the beginning. A client is someone under the care of another.

I take that translation very seriously. It resonates to the core of my being.

My reputation, integrity and credibility are on the line with each and every individual I am blessed to call a client. When they succeed, I succeed. When they do not, at some level I have failed them. It’s that simple.

Let’s get back to my original comments: I have found that there are two types of individuals when it comes to showing effort:

First are the ones that are easy to coach because they give everything they have in everything they do.

  • They give their maximum effort on every rep, set and exercise.
  • They are the folks who are very special and easy to coach.
  • They make my job easy and are natural leaders.

The other type of individual is the one who gives an all out effort…sometimes.

  • They either don't understand or know how to push their limits and thresholds and actually hold themselves back.
  • They see hard work ahead and their mind and body begins to shut down.
  • They don't allow themselves to be fully engaged in what they are doing.

From a training and performance standpoint, they are the folks who can be fantastic one second and absolutely garbage the next. If an athlete performs like this, they will need to be taught to give maximum effort at all times, both in training and practice. If they can’t do it in those arenas, what makes a coach feel they can perform on the field of play?

For the individual seeking to achieve a goal, the same rules apply. If you give maximum effort at all times, you're only going to know one way to show effort and will lead to great results. If you give maximum effort sometimes, then you'll have marginal results.

As Bill Murray said in the movie “Stripes”, “That’s the fact, Jack!”

Here's the take-away message and please ponder this: the quality of your effort will determine your success in any endeavor with and in which you engage. Strive to reach your full potential by giving consistently high quality effort at all times and your health and fitness goals will be a short distance away.

I promise you that.

Steve
Your Prograde Pro