Thursday, May 6, 2010

How much time is wasted in the gym by the average gym-goer?

First and foremost, I believe that there are several distinct, different persona's within the confines of a gyms "arena". Many previous articles have discussed them and brought them to light for the enjoyment and connectedness of us all. For the purposes of this message, I will restrict my comments to three basic phyla of these types of individuals.

The first is the "Puritan"; the individual who simply comes to the gym to "get 'er done", if you will. They are often defined by the sweat, headphones and lack of eye contact with others. These people are usually devoid of humor, seldom "work in" with other members and often have a "don't talk to me" type of body language. They do not waste time. That's cool, as long as they carry a towel to wipe up after themselves.

Then there's the "Socialite"; it's usually a guy (but not always) who's been married for a number of years, has a couple or ten kids and a wife who serves more as a mom than a partner. He saunters about from piece to piece, training a set of bi's and tri's between solving all of the world's problems (a skill at which he is MOST adept) and soliciting and/or inciting "smack" and chatter from whomever will respond to his taunts. This is his version of "Happy Hour", usually conducted at a specific time each day. Hey, at least he's not driving under the influence of anything stronger than an obnoxious attitude.

The next type is in a class all their own. The worst offender in the bunch, bar none, is the one who pays double for the privilege of being at the gym. The "Therapy Session Client"; you know this one. Not only do they pay gym dues, they pay a “trainer” as well. They hire a PT to "train" them and then spend the bulk of the session talking about...whatever. These folks are under the impression that they are doing well, when in reality they are being deluded into a false sense of security.

Personally, I blame the trainer; they should know better. I have clients that want to talk about their "issues". Believe me; I'm not insensitive...much. The way I figure it, there's two ways to handle it. 1) We can talk and train and talk and you can pay me and feel like you accomplished something, or 2) I can add weight to all of your sets where the only thing you can focus on is not being crushed and you'll forget all about your problems for a while. This, for most people, is what they really want to do in the first place.

Am I a genius or what?

I hope you see that I'm having some fun with this. The people I've mentioned above are real, even if their circumstances and situations have been exaggerated by my eloquence and skill of prose. (Kids, don't try writing like this at home. I'm a professional. Just ask me.)

People waste time in the gym for several reasons. Usually because they don't know what they’re doing but are too scared, egotistical or pride-filled to ask for professional assistance, so they muddle along.

And then there are those who THINK they know what they’re doing, (because they’ve read the latest issue of Ironhead orMuscle & Fiction magazine) and probably suffer from the same afflictions. Either way, these folks all waste days, months or sadly, years by never seeing any appreciable progress or results for their efforts. If others simply want to waste time by being overly talkative or appear affable in some way, that is their choice...I guess.

And if you see me training, please don't interrupt my session. I'm probably doing a quick set between my own personal conversations...in my own head.

Steve