Tuesday, September 16, 2008

10 Strategies to Handle the Impulse to Overeat

Consider these options the next time you feel the urge to overeat.

1. Define your mealtime. Schedule your meals and make them with a wide variety of foods. Stick to a consistent eating regimen that meets your particular schedule and needs, such as 3 main meals and 2 to 3 smaller snacks. Endeavor to eat each meal in a special place and setting, with a defined beginning and ending.

2. Utilize and practice positive statements. Positive self talk like, “My urge is strong now, and I know it often goes away in just a couple of minutes. Hunger pangs come and go and increase over time. Let’s see how this intensity rates right now versus when it returns.” Or maybe, “I can trust myself. I’m letting my emotions regulate my urge to overeat. I have control over this because I’ve already eaten my regularly scheduled meals.” Another positive response is, “What am I thinking and feeling right now? What other options can I turn this emotional energy into besides eating?”

3. Do not immediately turn to food. Like the diver, whose mantra for success is “Plan your dive; dive your plan” you’ve got to maintain your schedule. Plan your meals and eat your plan. Stick to the plan. Use focus tools and self talk like, “My hunger and full food cues are confusing to me now, so I must stick to my eating schedule.” “Small, more frequent meals have more benefit to me and are more satisfying.” “I must eat to nourish my body in the same way I would give my kids or a friend medicine and good food.”

4. Take a deep breath and relax when the overeating urge strikes. Write down your feelings and thoughts when you feel the urge. Take note of your level of stress, sadness, boredom, anger, frustration or loneliness. Is there some event or situation that sparked your urge to overeat? By doing this you put some distance between the urge to overeat and taking action on that urge giving you time to reconsider and make a better choice. It also allows you to take responsibility for the urge and to have the awareness to become aware as to what is the driving force behind it.

5. Slowly work to break your old eating habits and rules. Let’s say one of your rules states that you can’t eat breakfast. O.K., try eating a little bit. When you start to feel uncomfortable, get up and leave the area. With time you can increase the amount of food you eat and the length of time you spend there until you’re eating a normal, healthy meal.

6. Eat smaller portions of the foods you have been overeating. Since these foods will no longer be forbidden, you’ll probably not dwell on them or become anxious and guilty after eating them.

7. Eat more moderate portions. Let go of diet myths and lies that have up to this point controlled your eating behavior. If you’re not sure just what a standard portion is, use one cup, one-half cup, and one-fourth cup measuring cups, and you’ll learn how much satisfies your hunger.

8. Smaller, more frequent meals is the key. Research and anecdotal evidence reveal that smaller, more frequent meals control blood sugar and insulin so that hunger dissipates and fat gain is minimized. Remind yourself often that 5 to 6 smaller meals eaten daily are more satisfying AND beneficial than three larger meals.

9. Once you’ve finished your meal, find an activity to participate in that involves your body and distracts you mentally. This does not include sitting watching the tube, listening to music or reading. It is things like gardening, taking a walk, organizing your sock drawer. Keep a list of activities handy and refer to them often.

10. Pamper yourself. Plan things you enjoy doing each day, even if you have a limited amount of time. When you’re well-fed emotionally, you’ll be less likely to turn to food.

Steve
Steve Payne is San Antonio's premier fat loss expert. If you're really serious about fat loss, then please consider San Antonio's finest fat loss "boot camp", the Firestorm Fitness Systems Fat Burning Fit Camps, The 28 Day Miracle Fat Loss Program or you can e-mail Steve here for more information on his many GUARANTEED success programs.